Micro-Pigmentation also known as cosmetic tattooing or micro pigmentation is a cosmetic procedure which uses certain pigments to create the look one would normally achieve with various makeup products. The most frequent makeup options done are lip color tattoos and eyebrow tattoos. It is used to give defined and prominent brows and color filling of the lip.
How is Micro-Pigmentation done?
With a single-use disposable needle, a tattoo machine, and special cosmetic tattoo ink, a trained aesthetician injects the ink into the dermis i.e. the central layer of the skin, below the epidermis. This doesn’t inject the ink quite as deep into the skin as a traditional tattoo machine, which means that Micro-Pigmentation does not last as long as an average tattoo.
Who can get it done?
While everyone can consider getting Micro-Pigmentation done, there are certain people who are highly advised to go for it.
1. People with hair loss in eyebrows since birth, due to aging or due to various causes like alopecia areata, hormonal problems like thyroid, nutritional deficiencies or post-trauma where the scar is present over eyebrows or post-chemotherapy where eyebrow hair is affected.
2. People with dark lips genetically or due to other causes like excessive smoking etc.
3. Anyone who would like to cut down on the hassle of doing everyday makes up.
How long does the Micro-Pigmentation last?
Most people require a touch up after 2 weeks for long-lasting results. It requires retouching after 9 to 12 months time to make it last longer.
Common Types of Micro-Pigmentation
- Permanent Lip Colour
- Permanent Eyebrows
Before the Procedure
The shape of the brow and color of the lip is decided according to age, gender, skin tone, and frequency of makeup in daily life. The natural shape of your lips and structure of brow bone are also taken into consideration.
During the Procedure
In case of eyebrows, a shape is first drawn with a skin pencil. Preparation of the area includes numbing the area with topical anesthesia and then individual strokes are used to follow the pattern of natural eyebrow hair. This is followed by the application of the pigment, leaving it on for 10 minutes to let the skin absorb the pigment completely.
What to expect after Micro-Pigmentation?
As you finally have made up your mind to go for cosmetic tattooing, you might also want to learn what to expect after the procedure.
The area you have had tattooed might be swollen, especially the day after the procedure.
After two or three days, the skin might begin to flake, peel or scab. This should end after a day or two.
Aftercare & Maintenance
Following proper aftercare is just as important as the skill of the person performing it to give the best results of defining the brows and lip color.
- Avoid touching the area as much as possible, except for when cleaning.
- Avoid Sun exposure.
- Avoid using soap for a few days.
- Do not pick at the tattoo, even if the skin over it begins to peel or crust.
- For the first week, avoid applying anything except the antibiotic cream as prescribed.
- Do not go swimming, and avoid excessive sweating for the first week.
- Avoid taking hot or very warm foods for at least 2 hours after permanent lip color.
Is Micro-Pigmentation safe?
As long as you take necessary precautions, you will get phenomenal results and the procedure is completely safe.
People who should not have Micro-Pigmentation done
- Anyone suffering from immunosuppressive illnesses like HIV.
- People with keloidal tendencies.
- People suffering from active herpes.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Those taking blood thinners.
Benefits of Micro-Pigmentation
- Less invasive.
- Short procedure duration.
- Saves time to define brows every time you get ready
- Saves you from retouching the lipstick several times a day to look perfect.
Always approach a skilled professional for the procedure and the safest option is to take the advice of a dermatologist before proceeding with this treatment.
Ratings and Reviews