THE DNA DIET: LOSE WEIGHT BY MAPPING YOUR GENES
A REVOLUTIONARY test, used on Olympic athletes, can reveal what type of diet best suites your individual genetic make-up.
- One diet definitely doesn’t fit all. So if you’re fed up of quitting carbs, cutting sugar and only costuming green juices, this ‘diet’ could be for you.
- The problem with fad diets is that they work for some people, but not for others.
- This is because our bodies process fats and carbohydrates differently, so some of us put on more weight than others even when we eat the same foods.
- This is why some people can gorge on pasta to their hearts delight without putting on a pound, while others pile it on at the mere sight of a sandwich.
- But now DNAfit is offering a bespoke diet plan that claims to boost your mood, help you lose weight and make you feel fitter.
- The DNA diet involves taking a swab test by rubbing a cotton bud on your cheek, using a DIY kit, and sending the results for analysis.
- When your results come back an expert talks them through with you and gives you the choice to start a bespoke diet.
- A study of 191 obese people found that those on one of these bespoke diets lost 33 per cent more weight than those counting calories, the European Human Genetics Conference in Milan was told.
- Those on DNA diets saw their BMI go down by an average of 1.8 points, while the other group saw it decrease by 1.3 points. Patients on a DNA diet also gained more muscle, at an average of 6.1 per cent compared to 5.3 per cent.
- The test also reveals what type of exercise best fits your body type and even what injuries you might be susceptible to.
- The experts behind the revolutionary test, also claim that people can lose a third more weight on their personalised diet plans than by calorie counting alone.
�TOOK THE TEST AND THIS IS WHAT I FOUND OUT�..�
1) I SHOULD NEVER GIVE UP CARBS�
- According to the test my body metabolises carbohydrates very quickly so I would lack in energy if I tried to give them up.�
2) MY BODY NEEDS �FAT AS IT METABOLISES IT QUICKLY��
- Again it was refreshing to hear someone tell me that I SHOULD be eating animal fats.�
3) I NEED MORE SELENIUM
- This is a trace element that is naturally present in many foods. It is good for your hair, nails and plays critical role in reproduction.
- My levels are naturally low so the nutritionist recommended I eat three Brazil nuts a day to increase my selenium levels.
4) I AM MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO COELIAC THAN THE AVERAGE PERSON�
- Coeliac is a common digestive condition when a person has an adverse reaction to gluten, a protein found in grains such as wheat, barely and rye.
- While I might never develop it, I have a one in 35 chance compared to the average which is one in 100.�
5) I SHOULD EAT MORE CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLES�
- Because I don’t produce the GSTM1 enzyme naturally, I have to get it from food. This can be found in cruciferous vegetables, which include cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, kale and Brussel sprouts.
- These are just a few of the interesting facts I found out about my body. And the great thing about it is being told what you SHOULD eat, rather than what you should avoid.
- The test also reveals what type of sport would best suit your body. So if you were born to be a long distance runner or a heavy weight champion – your genes will have the answers.